Home Living

Winter Weather Home Safety Tips

February 21, 2019

As temperatures dip in some areas of the country, Georgia Power offers the following electrical fire prevention tips and tools for home safety.

Keep space heaters away from furniture, curtains, sinks, tubs and water. Do not lay rugs or carpet over the cord. Do not use heaters if the cord is frayed or broken, and do not use an extension cord. Turn off heaters before leaving home or going to bed.

Never use generators indoors. They can produce a dangerous gas called carbon monoxide that you cannot see or smell. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.

Do not place appliance cords where they will come in contact with the stove or other heated surfaces. Do not hang appliance cords over countertops, where they might be accidentally pulled down.

Worn or frayed appliance cords can cause fires, electric shock and even electrocution. Inspect cords regularly to assess wear and replace cords as needed.

Only use surge protectors with internal circuit breakers. These units will trip the breaker if the power strip is overloaded and shorted to prevent overheating.

Prevent overloading equipment and circuits. It can cause insulation to burn, create sparks and leave exposed wires.

Prevent oil and dirt buildup on electrical appliances, which can cause electrical equipment to overheat and short-circuit.

Know where the nearest fire extinguishers are and how to use them. Only Class C extinguishers are safe to use on energized electrical equipment.


Source: Georgia Power
Reprinted with permission from RISMedia

Explore our selection of new homes and discover your dream home today!